So you want to build a Haswell-E system for overclocking
With the launch of the EVGA X99 Classified a few questions have come up about what it takes to build one of these systems. In this segment Dennis walks you thru the desktop processor options including price and features. Of course the processor is only part of the equation and by the end of the segment the duo will have given you everything you need to know about building a Haswell-E
Correction: in this episode you will hear Dennis talk about the Core i7 5820K and mention it has 24 PCI Express lanes. Call it excitement or the beer but that processor actually comes with 28 Lanes of PCIe. Note: By the time you listen to this segment the official qualifying results have been announced on HWBot including the winner’s names and what world records were broken.
Gaming Build Upgrades
Over the past year Darren has been building a gaming rig for his daughter and wanted to build it on an extreme budget at around $500. The initial build used an AMD A6 processor on a generic motherboard and some scavenged parts from around the house. That system has been running great with the exception that it was slow to respond when joining multiplayer games. In an attempt to resolve those issues Darren has started swapping out parts. The first upgrade was to replace the old rotational drive with an inexpensive SSD followed by a new processor, motherboard and video card.
Seems like a whole new system but even with these new parts the total build cost is still less than $800 with considerably more features.
Gigabyte F2A88XN-Wifi Motherboard Review
Episode 45 featured music:
Little People - Start Shootin' (http://www.littlepeoplemusic.com/)
Hot Fire - Them Never Love No Bans - DnB Mix (Germany) (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Hot_Fire/La_Boite_A_Sons_-_Contest_Contributions/Them_Never_Love_No_Bans_-_DnB_Mix_Germany)
- Top 30 Games to Play this Holiday SeasonDecember 24, 2016
- A Look at the Casemodding Community and Accurate Fan TestingDecember 10, 2016
- Battlefield 1 Review and Gameplay ImpressionsNovember 25, 2016
- DICE Overclocking at the BoiseLAN 4.0November 17, 2016
- Pascal GTX 1050 Discussion followed by an In-depth Look at the HBT+ Gravity 6November 10, 2016
- Battlefield 1 Beta First Play and ImpressionsSeptember 25, 2016
- PCI Express 4.0 Corrosion Risks of Watercooling and Podcast on YouTubeSeptember 10, 2016
- Changing the Face of Overclocking CompetitionsAugust 24, 2016
- View All Episodes