Sometimes in the Podcast Extras Dennis and Darren deviate from normal hardware discussions and talk about some random thing they discovered to keep things fresh? In this first segment Darren brings up a new media streaming service called Popcorn Time. This service is a little different from Netflix or HBO Go in that it is an open source project making it completely free to use and accesses the BitTorrent network for its source content.
Both Dennis and Darren find this to be a game changer. Not only is the Popcorn Time interface super polished but has media links that go well beyond what paid services offer both in volume and sometimes playback quality. Keep in mind this service is accessing the Torrent network and some of what you can download could be questionable so use at your own risk.
Ever wonder how big box stores can sell stuff cheaper than smaller “mom and pop shops”? As you can imagine it is often based on purchasing power and sales volume. Of course buying retail might get you the product you need but what if you could get the same product at the bulk price? Would you be interested??
Massdrop is a social buying service that can proxy a purchase between the community and manufacture with the promise that it can guarantee a certain amount of buyers are committed to buy. The idea is simple. First you submit a product to the community, if the community likes it Massdrop will contact the manufacture and negotiate a bulk price and determine how many buyers are needed to activate that price. The item goes on sale and when the buying window ends they put in an order for the item and sell it at the volume price based on how many people want to buy.
Episode 52 featured music:
Little People - Start Shootin' (http://www.littlepeoplemusic.com/)
- Highlights from CES 2017 with Special GuestsJanuary 11, 2017
- Top 30 Games to Play this Holiday SeasonDecember 24, 2016
- A Look at the Casemodding Community and Accurate Fan TestingDecember 10, 2016
- Battlefield 1 Review and Gameplay ImpressionsNovember 25, 2016
- DICE Overclocking at the BoiseLAN 4.0November 17, 2016
- Pascal GTX 1050 Discussion followed by an In-depth Look at the HBT+ Gravity 6November 10, 2016
- Battlefield 1 Beta First Play and ImpressionsSeptember 25, 2016
- PCI Express 4.0 Corrosion Risks of Watercooling and Podcast on YouTubeSeptember 10, 2016
- View All Episodes