It’s really a great time to be a hardware enthusiast. Thanks to innovation and increasingly cheaper technology, there is really no excuse to not have a pretty solid gaming setup! Tecware agrees and has made it their mission to provide enthusiast gaming peripherals that don’t break the budget!
Today’s Tecware RGB mechanical keyboard is a perfect example. Budget friendly with RGB and mechanical keys. But let’s find out if it’s any good!
Tecware’s Phantom RGM Mechanical keyboards come in two flavors. The Phantom 87 you see here (361.5 x 133.5 x 40.1 mm) and a full sized Phantom 104 RGB 444.5 x 133.5 x 40.1 mm). As you may have guessed the only difference is the 87 key layout vs. a more traditional 104 key layout.
With the 87 you are giving up the traditional 10 key for a more portable footprint.
Our Phantom 87 RGB shipped with Outemu Red mechanical Switches and some pretty solid doubleshot ABS keycaps. The 87 key layout should look pretty familiar as lit really looks like they cut off the tenkey side!
The size may be paired down but the feature set is the same as the 104 key designs:
- 'Floating Key' Design
- 50 million Reliable Keystrokes
- Standard 104 key / TKL 87 Key Layout
- Modular Switches for Easy Replacement
- Long Lifespan SMD LEDs
- Non-fade Double-shot ABS keycaps
- Multiple Lighting Effects
- Braided 1.8m USB Cable
- Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
- Model: Phantom 87 RGB
- Dimensions: 361.5 x 133.5 x 40.1 mm
- Weight: 0.95kg
- Layout: 87 Tenkeyless
- Rated Voltage: 5.0V / 300mA
- Switch Lifespan: 50 million keystrokes
- Cable Length: 1.8m Braided USB cable
- Frame: Black Plastic Body / Gunmetal Alloy Backplate
- Switch Type: Mechanical Outemu Switches
- Circuit Board: FR-4 Fibreglass PCB
- LEDs: SMD LEDs
- Keycaps: Double-shot ABS Keycaps
- Package Contents:/ 01 x Phantom Keyboard / 04 x Spare Mechanical Switch / 01 x Switch Puller / 01 x Keycap Puller / 01 x Manual
Outemu is the brand used by Gaote Corp to market their mechanical switches. Much like Kailh, these switches are widely described as lower price clones of the popular CherryMX line of switches. These switches are considered a true mechanical switch and are notable for their clear tops.
Available in 3 switch variants
- Outemu Blue - 60g tactile clicky
- Outemu Brown - 55g tactile bump
- Outemu Red - 50g linear