Motherboard evolution generally follows a natural progression that becomes more elaborate with every design. Simply put companies tend to build on previous designs by building on what works and removing what is no longer needed. A good example of this would be high-quality audio solutions. These days all the major motherboard makers have taken steps to ensure their onboard audio solutions are the best and have physically separated sections on a motherboard to prove it.
In this review I’ll be looking at the Gigabyte X99 Designare-EX. This is a new X99 motherboard that brings with it the next evolution in motherboard features massive connectivity. Typically motherboard makers take what is provided by the chipset and create a baseline of features from that. With the X99 Designare-EX I believe that Gigabyte has taken a different approach by looking at what they are trying to accomplish and then figuring out what is needed to get there.
- Supports Intel® Core™ i7 6950X Processor Extreme Edition
- Support Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0
- Quad Channel, Registered / Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 8 DIMMs
- Intel® USB 3.1 with USB Type-C™ & PD 2.0 36W Support
- Premium 3-Way PCIe x16 Multi-Graphics Support
- NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 22110 M.2 Interface & U.2 Interface for Intel® SSD 750
- SATA Express Connector for Up to 10Gb/s Data Transfer
- Dual Intel® GbE LAN with cFosSpeed Internet Accelerator Software
- 115dB SNR HD Audio with Built-in Rear Audio Amplifier
- Ambient Surround LED with RGB Multi-Color Choices
- Ultra Durable Metal Shielding over PCIe and DDR Slots
- Ultra Durable Anti-Sulfur Resistors for Longer Lifespan
- Ultra Durable Anti-Rust Rear I/O Connectors
- Dual Hybrid Fan Headers with Precise PWM / Voltage Control for Water Pump & Fan
- GIGABYTE UEFI DualBIOS™ with Q-Flash Plus USB ports
- APP Center Including EasyTune™ and Cloud Station™ Utilities
- Intel® 802.11ac Dual Band Wireless Connection & Bluetooth® 4.2
- Rear Panel DisplayPort-In for Future Feature Upgrade
As you can see from the long list of features showing that considerable effort has gone into building the X99 Designare-EX. Some of these features I would classify as marketing for the sake of marketing while others have a real impact on the end user.
For a full list of specifications be sure to check out the Gigabyte website or consult the User Manual.