There are several important aspects to building or, even upgrading a computer. While things such as motherboard and video card are important to overall performance you really can’t skimp on power supply. Seriously you cannot.
Well, you can but, it is something I would not recommend. A PSU is one of the few components which can live through numerous hardware upgrades and yet, can be responsible for causing everything to come crashing down. Simply put, going cheap on a PSU while you spend $2100 USD on a video card doesn’t make much sense.
In this review I’ll be showing you the Gigabyte Ultra Durable 850W PSU (UD850GM). Now, you might be saying to yourself. Gigabyte? Isn’t that a motherboard maker?? And you would be right. Gigabyte was responsible for the competitive SOC (Super Overclock) motherboards and the super stylish Xtreme Waterforce and while those products are great it isn’t the only thing they have slapped their name on.
In fact, this isn’t the first power supply to come out of Gigabyte. In 2016 I reviewed the Gigabyte XP1200M 80 Plus Platinum power supply and found it to be quite good with plenty of power to spare. The UD850GM weighs in at 850w and is only 80 Plus Gold rated however, this reduction has allowed the designers to use a much smaller chassis while still keeping with the fully modular design.
- Ultra Durable
- Main Japanese capacitors
- Enhanced thermal solution
- 120mm smart hydraulic bearing (HYB) fan
- OVP/OPP/SCP/UVP/OCP/OTP protection
- 80 PLUS Gold certified
- Fully modular design
- Powerful single +12V rail
- Compact design
- 5 years warranty (Adjusted according to different regions)
- Model: GP-UD850GM
- Type: Intel Form Factor ATX 12V v2.31
- PFC: Active PFC (>0.9 typical)
- Input Voltage: 100-240 Vac (full range)
- Input Current: 12-6A
- Input Frequency: 60-50 Hz
- Output Capacity: 850W
- Dimension: 150 x 140 x 86 mm
- Fan Type: 120mm Hydraulic Bearing(HYB)fan
- 80 PLUS: Gold
- Efficiency: 90% at typical load
- MTBF: >100,000 hours
- Protection: OVP/OPP/SCP/UVP/OCP/OTP
- Power Good Signal: 100-150ms
- Hold Up Time: >16ms
- Cable Type: Flat, All black
- Connectors: ATX/MB 20+4 Pin x 1 : 610mm*1 / CPU/EPS 4+4 Pin x 2 : 600mm*2 / PCI-e 6+2 Pin x 4 : 600mm+150mm*2 / SATA x 8 : 600mm+150mm+150mm+150mm*2 / 4 Pin Peripheral x 3+4-Pin floppy x 1 : 500mm+120mm+120mm+150mm*1